1) Use a packing list as there are always items you can forget when packing. Some lists have To Do’s “1 week in advance” to “1 day before” which helps you prepare everything, such as calling your credit card company to let them know you are traveling.
2) If you are traveling for a short period of time use travel sized containers for shampoo, conditioner, soap, fast wash, etc. It will save room and be easier to transport. You can easily purchase these small bottles at a local dollar store.
3) Let others know you are traveling in case of emergency. Consider making photocopies of important documents such as your passport and leave them with a friend and one copy for yourself. Better to have backup than nothing at all.
4) Check the weather for your destination spot so you know what exactly to pack. If it rains all of a sudden you will be glad you packed that last minute umbrella.
5) If traveling with a luggage always pack at least one shirt/ pair of pants/ or shorts in your carry-on bag in case the luggage is delayed or lost.
6) Keep all essential items on your person. Or in your bag! Items such as your passport, ticket, phone, laptop, or headphones are crucial. Make sure to charge electronics fully the night before.
7) Consider purchasing international medical insurance for all those “what ifs,” better safe than sorry.
8) Save as much as you can before you go by conserving your money. Whether you skip that morning Starbucks coffee or cancel your gym membership to exercise outside, it helps you save towards something you really want.
9) Do research on the destinations you are visiting for common norms. For example, in countries such as Spain or Italy some shops and restaurants close mid day. If you look this up ahead of time you can plan your trip right to the exact time as to when you can visit.
10) Double check your flight information a few hours ahead of time to confirm everything, and to make sure the flight is on time with no delays. You can easily look up this online or call the airline.